Are you wondering how to have faith through the toughest times in your life?
If you’re struggling and feel like you just can’t get ahead, you need to listen to this interview with Jessie Johnson. Click on the player to listen to her episode.
Here’s what you’ll find in this episode:
- Tips on how to have faith through the toughest times when you’re struggling.
- Getting through hard times pertaining to debt and finances, health and more.
- Jessie is using some clever ways to get out of debt…while using only cash.
Listen to the Episode Here
FIRST OF ALL, ABOUT JESSIE
- Grew Up in the Suburbs
- From Eastern Colorado
- Husband and she bought a farm right out of college and have built it from the ground up.
- Forage crops, alfalfa, 130 cows.
- 4 Children in 6 Years – Talk about getting through hard times!
HERE’S A PIECE OF ADVICE FROM JESSIE
There will be high times and hard times. High times will outweigh the hard times. Their work comes first but in the end, God has provided everything they needed.
They’ve learned how to have faith through the toughest times with a whole lot of prayer.
NEXT, LOW POINTS THROUGH HER JOURNEY
- Too much debt and not a lot of cash flow. Later she’ll share some clever ways to get out of debt.
- Mother Nature – Hail storm and insects in forage crops.
- E-coli bacteria killed half of their first calf crop.
AS A RESULT, SOME LESSONS LEARNED
Having faith has made getting through hard times much easier. Realizing that this is all part of God’s plan for them makes it easier to stay out on the farm.
Embracing the fact that there will be hard times that they can’t control have made life easier.
THEN, JESSIE DESCRIBES THE “AHA MOMENT” THAT CHANGED HER HEALTH
Jessie has 4 kids in almost 6 years but was never able to lose the baby weight in between. Before she knew it, she was 60 pounds overweight.
So, she cut out all sugar and stuck with a low-carb diet. She realized that eating healthy is a mental struggle that she overcame.
Since having her last baby, she’s lost 65 pounds just by sticking with her diet and working hard on the farm. She’s stronger and healthier now.
BEST ADVICE EVER RECEIVED
“The best plan is no plan.” Flexibility really is key because you can’t control mother nature. This is the key to getting through hard times.
It’s really all God’s plan and you just have to roll with it. But you still have to have your goals and plans to get there.
Look at each scenario like it’s “Good, Bad & Ugly.” If you plan low, you’ll win in the end.
ONE THING JESSIE IS EXCITED ABOUT
She’s excited for next summer and using some clever ways to get out of debt:
- Pricing out hay barn as a reward of using clever ways to get out of debt. .
- Selling machinery to cut back as one of those clever ways to get out of debt.
- They’ve nicknamed their farm “Next Summer Farm” – It’s going to be their year after getting through hard times.
- She’s excited about her new haircut.
JESSIE’S GET OUT OF DEBT PLAN
Jessie shares some clever ways to get out of debt that is working for them. They’ve been using the Dave Ramsey Method of financing. It’s been working great for their family.
They are now trying to figure out how to work for the farm. It’s difficult because there’s no steady income. But one by one, they are paying off loans and cutting back on their debt by paying cash only when possible.
Finally, cutting out what they don’t need and only doing what they can do is getting through hard times on their journey to becoming debt free. It’s all about getting rid of the unnecessary and paying cash for everything.
FAVORITE TOOL OR RESOURCE?
Jessie’s best resource she uses every day is the Bible. Her faith and fellowship she practices each day have helped her get through each day and getting through hard times.
However, getting to church when you’re in agriculture is sometimes tricky. Here are some churches online that Jessie relies on during these times:
ONE MORE SECRET TO GREAT HEALTH
Take a nap when you need it. Sleep is the best medicine for any ailment…mentally and physically.
Find time to fit a nap in – even just a few minute cat nap makes an amazing difference when getting through hard times.
- Main-Travelled Roads by Hamlin Garland
- The Wagner Matinee by Willa Cather
IN CONCLUSION, SOME PARTING WORDS OF WISDOM
Psalm 119: 75 I know, O Lord, that your rules are righteous,
and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
76 Let your steadfast love comfort me
according to your promise to your servant.
In God’s love and faithfulness, we are afflicted. It’s all part of God’s plan. Remember this when you’re wondering how to have faith through the toughest times.
FINALLY, CONTACT JESSIE
email: [email protected]
Finally, catch all the past episodes of Rural Women Inspired!
RURALITES, HONE YOUR DREAMS, OWN YOUR LIFE AND I’LL SEE YOU DOWN THE ROAD.