Looking for new gift ideas for home canners?
The gift ideas for home canners gift guide is sure to have something for that special someone on your list. Whether they are the beginner, hobby canner or advanced canner, I think you’ll be able to find SOMETHING that your favorite canning friend or family member doesn’t have.
I’ve included practical, useful equipment and tools to help the home canner increase practice and knowledge while saving money and time.
So, in this guide, you’ll find:
- Gift ideas for home canners on your list
- Some ideas for Canning Holiday Gifts
- Equipment for Safely Preserving Food at Home
Let’s jump right into the guide. We’ll start with some gifts for the beginning home canner.
DISCLOSURE: THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. THIS MEANS THAT, AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, I MAY GET A COMMISSION IF YOU CLICK THE LINK AND MAKE A PURCHASE. THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT IN THIS WAY!
For the Beginner
1. Ball Blue Book – This amazing book contains tutorials for beginning canners as well as some really great recipes. I also started out with the So Easy to Preserve Book, which I will also link up to for you.
2. Jars – Obviously, jars are important for the canning process. But purchasing the RIGHT jars are more vital to canning success. I love Ball but also use Kerr. You can order jars online from Fresh Preserving. They provide free shipping on orders over $50!
3. Lids/Bands – To be used along with the jars. You need good quality lids and bands. Most often, these two items are packaged together. Fresh Preserving has plenty of these in stock as well. Again – Free Shipping on items over $50!
4. Waterbath Kit – Most new canners learn by the waterbath method for tomato products, jams, jellies and pickles. This kit comes with everything you’ll need to get started with waterbath canning. It’s the EXACT kit I started with and still use to this day.
5. Customized Labels – Labeling all products is so important. That’s why I say labels are a great gift for canners of any level. Make them more special by designing and customizing them to fit your favorite canner.
6. Cheese Cloth – This may seem silly, but I use a LOT of cheese cloth in different recipes to strain liquid. Great for making products you want to be smooth without chunks, such as ketchup, jams, tomato juice, etc. And it seems like I run out of it a lot, too. So, I am including it in this gift guide because it’s a gift I would want to receive as a canner.
For the Hobbyist
7. Pressure Canner – Pressure canning is the next step up. If you’re favorite canner has been canning a while using waterbath, they might be ready for the task of pressure canning.
8. Canning Mug – My friend Tiffany from The Imperfectly Happy Homesteader designed this super cute Mug. It says: “Talk Canning to Me.” It’s available via Sun Frog.
9. Canning Tees – I have a small collection of Home Canning Tee Shirts available via Sun Frog. Feel free to click the link below and shop around for your favorite shirt.
10. Kitchen Digital Scale – This is something I don’t really have in my kitchen that I feel I need to have. Sometimes recipes call for the weight of the ingredient and therefore a scale would come in handy. This scale is one I would purchase because it looks very simple to use.
11. Head Space Measurement Tool – Correct head space from the top of the jar rim is critical during canning. Every home canner needs a head space measuring tool. Sometimes these tools get lost. Sometimes little hands get a hold of it and use it as a toy. It never hurts to have more than one because the canner will always need this cool tool. This particular head space tool is also a spatula for removing air bubbles.
12. Lid Rack for Sterilizing – Canning in clean lids and jars is super important for long-term food safety. This lid rack will keep lids from touching other things while sterilizing and warming them.
13. Food Processor/Food Mill – Food mills and Tomato presses really speed up the time it takes to prepare produce for recipes. I’ve linked to the exact ones I’ve used for years. They are amazing.
14. Customized Cutting Board – Every home cook needs a cutting board. Every canner needs a cutting board to cut up veggies. Make your gift extra special by customizing it. They will cherish this gift for years to come.
15. New Kitchen Knives – Kitchen knives go dull so soon, it seems. Here’s a nice set of knives to give that the home canner will need eventually.
16. Cooling Rack for Jars – Set up this cooling rack to set hot jars on after processing. It will protect your counter tops as you listen for the ping sound of lids sealing onto the jars.
17. Thermometer – Always handy to check temperatures of candy, jellies, and other products.
For The Advanced Home Canner
18. Deluxe Package of Spices – No one can ever have too many spices for recipes. This package contains all the most popular spices and seasonings for all types of delicious canning recipes.
19. Personal Assistant/Kitchen Helper – Give the gift of helping. If you want to help your home canner, simply make a gift certificate for the service you will be providing. Whether it be help in the kitchen, baby sitting, or cutting up veggies for them, I can guarantee that your canner friend or family member will appreciate this gift to help with time.
20. Timer – Another great time management gift is a new timer. Canners who wish to time multiple pots or canners sometimes can’t because of the lack of another timer. Accuracy is the key to preserving food safely. So, a good trusty extra timer will come in handy during the busy canning season.
21. Giant Pot for Batch Cooking – You can’t have enough of these either. Another giant pot will allow for larger batches cooking at one time. Or maybe even another recipe to help save time.
22. Customized Oven Mitts – Canners use oven mitts when handling hot pots or canning jars. And they can never have too many. Make this gift even more special by customizing it.
23. Customized Apron – Canners use aprons to protect clothing from spills. Customize the apron with their name or something that they are going to love. Make it theirs.
Canning for Gift Giving
One more amazing gift idea for the hobby or advanced home canner is a list or box filled with top canning recipes. If your favorite home canner is interested in canning ideas for Christmas gifts in the future, this would be a very great idea that I think they would love. I mean…I know I always adore getting new recipes to try.
Here are a few of my favorite preserved food items at home that I put into gift baskets to give as gifts:
I will continue to grow this list as I add new recipes. Canned items make great gifts, too.
And I hope you’ve found at least one or more gift ideas for home canners in your life who you may have thought owned everything already. What are your best gift ideas for canners that you didn’t see on the list that I could add? Please leave in the comments!
~ Much Love ~
Ready to Make 2018 YOUR Year?
Get these 10 steps delivered right to your inbox to print and take with you to stay on track for success.